Lead poisoning occurs when high levels of lead, which is a heavy metal, build up in your body. This is particularly dangerous because lead can affect many of your body processes and soft tissues including your intestines, nervous system, kidneys, bones, heart, reproductive system and brain function. Children are highly susceptible to lead poisoning because it can cause permanent learning and behavioral issues as a result of the damaging of the nervous system. Because of the many ways that you can be exposed to lead, many people experience symptoms of lead poisoning without ever knowing that they have come into contact with it. Symptoms can include irritability, abdominal pain, headache, confusion and anemia. At high levels, it can cause seizures or a coma.